We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
In traditional African medicine Yohimbe (Pausinystalia yohimba) has been used as an aphrodisiac for centuries. In Western Europe, yohimbe is known today as a natural remedy in sex therapy, for example for the treatment of erectile dysfunction or impotence. But how exactly can Yohimbe fix sexual disorders? We got to the bottom of this question in more detail in the following article.
Profile of Yohimbe:
- Botanical name: Pausinystalia yohimba
- Plant family: Red plants (Rubiaceae)
- Popular names: Love tree, lustwood, potency wood
- origin: Africa
- Most important ingredients: Yohimbine
- Parts of plants used: Bark
- application areas:
- Erectile dysfunction,
- increased blood pressure
Herbal portrait: when the blood gets boiling
The Yohimbe tree belongs to the red family (Rubiaceae) and originally grows in West Africa, mainly in countries like Cameroon or Congo. From the tribes resident there, such as the Bantu peoples, but also from East African tribes such as the Maasai, the leaves and bark of the tree have always been used for various initiation and healing rites.
In traditional African medicine, the medicinal use of yohimbe focuses primarily on libido disorders and organic causes of infertility.
In the meantime, however, a number of other properties of lustwood have been discovered, so that its areas of application include the following health problems:
- Erectile dysfunction,
- sexual reluctance,
- High blood pressure,
- Circulatory disorders
- and tension pains in the head area.
In western medicine, the yohima bark (Yohimbehe cortex) distributed. Ground into powder, the remedy has a reddish brown to gray-brown color and is wonderful for herbal teas. A relatively gentle and easy to prepare natural remedy, which is considered a sexual enhancer and can sometimes even help with vascular problems.
Ingredients and effects
The active ingredient that gives yohimbe its effect is called yohimbine. The plant substance has the property of influencing various nerve receptors in such a way that the male genital area in particular benefits.
Yohimbine improves blood circulation
The receptors that yohimbine influences include so-called α2 adrenoceptors. These are special signal line units in the body's nervous system. They are mainly found in blood vessels, where they are activated by the stress hormone norepinephrine, among other things, and cause the blood vessels to narrow. The hormone mentioned is released together with adrenaline, especially in high-performance activities such as sports or stressful everyday scenarios, but also during sexual intercourse. In the latter case, it is responsible for:
- improved performance during lovemaking,
- sexual readiness in general,
- and mental alertness and responsiveness to the sexual act.
The side effect of norepinephrine on vascular volume can be a real dilemma, since the hormone is beneficial for sexual activity, but can also cause circulatory disorders in the genital area by activating the adrenoceptors. Because it prevents norepinephrine from docking on α2 adrenoceptors, it not only improves blood circulation. The increased release of norepinephrine also optimizes the body functions that are necessary for a fulfilled sex life. The arteries in the pelvic area respond particularly well to this effect of yohimbine. Thanks to its properties
- it increases the excitability of the reflexes in the pelvic region,
- it increases the sensitivity of skin and tissue,
- it increases libido activity
- and improves blood flow to the male erectile tissue.
Overall, it is possible due to the blood circulation, sensitivity and performance-promoting effect of yohimbine
- Erectile dysfunction or erectile dysfunction,
- increased blood pressure
- and general circulatory disorders
can be remedied or alleviated.
Useful information: Yohimbine also stimulates the metabolism through the improved use of the stress hormones adrenaline and noradrenaline. The increased performance is used to burn fat, which is why yohimbine in the form of yohimbine HCL is also a household name in the fitness and bodybuilding industry. However, the anabolic-like preparation is not available from us.
More pleasure thanks to yohimbine
Adrenoreceptors are not the only hormone docking sites that yohimbine attacks. Receptors for the uptake of the happiness hormone serotonin are also positively influenced by the ingredient of Yohimbe. In detail, it is serotonin 5-HT receptors that play a crucial role in increasing the sensation of pleasure. By improving serotonin intake, yohimbine can increase what psychoactive feeling
- stimulate libido,
- make sexual experiences more fun,
- and can generally intensify the sensation of pleasure during the sexual act.
Important: In addition to acting as an aphrodisiac, yohimbine can also have some unpleasant side effects if it is dosed incorrectly. For details, see the section on using Yohimbe.
Application and dosage
The bark of the yohimbe can usually be bought in the form of cut pieces of bark or ground as a powder. Both are usually prepared as tea.
Yohimbe as a tea preparation
When you first consume a tea made from Yohimbe, it is important to dose carefully at first. Yohimbine is a powerful aphrodisiac, which is why it is better to take moderate amounts first and wait.
Preparation of yohimbe tea:
- Half a teaspoon of yohimbe bark or yohimbe powder,
- 500 ml of boiling water,
- Brewing time: about five minutes,
- then filter the tea and drink in small sips.
The effects of yohimbine usually only start about half an hour after drinking the tea. Therefore, you should definitely wait enough time before drinking another cup. To speed up the onset of action, you can try adding a pinch of vitamin C to the tea.
Side effects and interactions
You should exercise caution when using Yohimbe preparations, because side effects and interactions can occur:
- Yohimbe should not be taken with antidepressants and antihypertensive drugs, as it could cause fluctuations in blood pressure and mood, as well as anxiety.
- The consumption of high-fat foods, caffeine and alcoholic beverages should be discontinued at least six hours before taking yohimbine, since the active ingredient can inhibit the breakdown of caffeine, alcohol and fat in the liver and brain. This in turn quickly leads to interactions and nausea or vomiting.
- In combination with caffeine in particular, yohimbine often has an increased effect. Side effects such as spontaneous or permanent erection are not uncommon here. It can also occur with an overdose of Yohimbe and urgently requires a visit to the doctor if symptoms persist, otherwise blood congestion and painful swelling can occur on the erect limb.
- Other side effects from an overdose of yohimbine can include nervousness, tremors, increased sweating, inner restlessness, insomnia, rapid heartbeat, headache, dizziness and gastrointestinal complaints.
- People who already have cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, kidney or liver disease should not take yohimbine. The same applies to people with a mental disorder or mental illness.
- The wide range of undesirable side effects shows that yohimbine is really a very strong active ingredient that should not be underestimated. If in doubt, it is best to discuss the intake with a doctor.
Studies on the effects of yohimbe
Yohimbe is one of the few aphrodisiacs whose effect has actually been confirmed. Both a healing effect in erectile dysfunction and a positive effect in impotence have been demonstrated in various studies. That yohimbe helps with erectile dysfunction and infertility has been scientifically proven and is not one of the medicinal myths.
However, research results on the exact mode of action of yohimbine in the area of blood circulation and hormone balance are still pending. This topic in particular would be worth a further study. After all, the special mechanism of action of Yohimbe not only creates desirable changes in terms of sexual functions, but also a number of interactions and side effects. These could possibly be contained better with more extensive knowledge of the effects of yohimbine.
So far, the online range of Yohimbe products is not particularly large. Many prefer to order or buy yohimbe as a tea blend from the bark or in powder form at the local pharmacy, drugstore or in the local herbal trade.
Yohimbe is an efficient aphrodisiac, which has to be used very moderately in view of its powerful effects. Otherwise, the aphrodisiac effect could quickly change to the opposite and, instead of increasing potency, could cause serious side effects such as fluctuations in blood pressure and mood, anxiety, rapid heartbeat and blood congestion in the male member. We therefore only recommend Lustholz after consulting a doctor and in moderate doses. (ma)
Author and source information
This text corresponds to the specifications of the medical literature, medical guidelines and current studies and has been checked by medical doctors.
Miriam Adam, Barbara Schindewolf-Lensch
- Corazza, Ornella et al .: "Sexual Enhancement Products for Sale Online: Raising Awareness of the Psychoactive Effects of Yohimbine, Maca, Horny Goat Weed, and Ginkgo biloba", in: BioMed Research International Volume 2014, hindawi.com
- Huber, Roman: Mind-Maps Phytotherapy, Hippocrates, 2009
- Tepperwein, Kurt: The great BodyFit book for body and soul, mvg Verlag, 2007
- Holsboer, Florian; founder, Gerhard; Benkert, Otto: Handbook of Psychopharmacotherapy, Springer, 2007
- Myers, Amy; Barrueto, Fermin: "Refractory priapism associated with ingestion of yohimbe extract", in: Journal of medical Toxicology, Volume 5 No. 4, December 2009, Springer
- Riley, Alan: "Yohimbine in the treatment of erectile disorder", in: The British journal of clinical practice, 48 (3), May 1994, NCBI